New start.


hey!
Wow, long time no see guys! But there's a solid reason for that... I moved abroad to study Media & Journalism! Some of you might probably know that I grew up in a small country beautifully called Lithuania. The shocking thing is that a decision to move countries was a very spontaneous one. All my friends knew that right after my High School graduation I enrolled to study Genetics course at Vilnius University. But things change, I guess! Now a little backstory..
• backstory•
You see, I hated High School so much. I believe that a reason for that was an everyday mental pressure I felt from teachers, classmates. You can't get less than 90% from that exam, you won't get a free spot in that course if you do so, you won't find a job with a degree in social sciences, choose biomedicine and etc. High school was one big competition. Competition between students who felt the same pressure to be better than their classmates. Fear to get a grade less than 8 from a test you studied so hard the night before was absolutely ridiculous. At last, yes, I got a free spot at the University to study Genetics. What a perfect layout, free education, up-and-coming degree, living free of charge with my parents. What else do you need right? To be fairly honest, the only thing that was missing was feeling that I am on my right path in life. I didn't see myself working in a lab in the future. Where's the point then? There is none. That's why I quit. I didn't want to waste 4 or maybe even 6 probably the best years in my entire life studying for a degree I won't even get my hands on in the future. Sorry mom and dad, but that's my decision.
• that's not all..•
Ok, so I decided to drop out of my course. What's next? I had no clue what to do next. It was late May and exams were just around the corner. I was looking for different programmes to study in my country, but nothing really stood out. After sleepless nights trying to figure out my next move, my brother dropped me an idea to go abroad. I honestly thought it was nonsense, I can't do it, it's too much hassle and money this is not an option. But the next morning I woke up and reckoned, why the f**k not? After all, it has always been my dream to study and live abroad. So I decided to tell my parents. It wasn't easy, let me tell you that.. Many tears later I actually settled down with my choice to leave everything behind and move on. Some of the friends knew that I'm dropping out of my University, but I didn't tell that I am actually moving to the UK. Why the UK? I don't know, I'll be honest here, I didn't have much time to explore other options. Although I am really happy with my choice now. 
•  university and course choice •
By the end of July, I was offered 3 unconditional and 1 conditional offer from UCAS. After doing my full research (reading reviews from students about the city, living expenses, nightlife, etc.) on every single course, I picked Northumbria University in Newcastle upon Tyne to get a degree in Media & Journalism.
•  it's time to leave •
Summer passed by and it was time to leave and say goodbye to everyone. Hardest goodbye to say was definitely the one to my parents. When they drove me to the airport and squeezed me tight for the last hug I did not tear up, but of course, my mom did. And only when I went through the security check I realized that I won't see them for a long period of time and that it's not a one week trip or something, I'm actually moving country. And the thought of this made me tear up.
•  experience so far •
Having lived here for 2 months now, I'm happy. I'm happy with the choice I made. In such a short period of time I met so many amazing people that I actually do want to see in my future as well. It's so different living here. Culture is nothing alike to compare with where I came from. And although the weather is way nastier here with all the rain and wind, the positive vibe you're constantly surrounded with compensates for it all.
I don't want this post to be even longer than it already is so I think I'm just going to end it right here. I really appreciate it if you have made it this far! I plan to write more posts in the future because I miss blogging so much!! But it has been so hectic last 4-5 months. Hope you understand that I needed some time for myself to figure things out, but now when everything is getting right to its place I'm really happy to announce that I'll start working more on my blog from now on.

Thank you so much for sticking by. I wish you all the best and until next time! Cheers xx

You May Also Like

0 comments